Table of Contents
- You can post on Instagram at any time using the free mobile app, or on a desktop with Safari or Google Chrome.
- The Instagram app lets you post photos, videos, and more with just a few taps.
- If you’re posting on Instagram from a Mac or PC, you’ll have to change your browser settings.
- This story is part of Business Insider’s Guide to Instagram.
Since its release in 2010, Instagram has taken the world of social media by storm. It’s an elegantly simple platform that boasts more than a billion monthly users, and sees as many as 500 million using the platform each and every day.
That stunning popularity aside, many people still wonder exactly how to make an Instagram post, and many more ask if you can post to Instagram from a computer.
Once you know the steps, posting on Instagram from your smartphone or tablet is easy. And if you’re using Safari on a Mac, or Google Chrome on a Mac or PC, posting on Instagram from a computer shouldn’t take much longer.
How to post on Instagram from your phone
1. Log into your account on the Instagram mobile app.
2. Tap the square at the bottom of the screen with a “+” (plus) symbol inside.
3. Select the photo (or video, or GIF) you wish to post from your phone’s library or snap a new image with your smartphone camera. To make a multi-image post – you can use up to 10 pictures in one post – tap the gray circle with an image of layered squares and then tap the images you’d like to use.
4. Hit “Next” at the top of the screen, then select your filter if you wish to use one, and hit “Edit” to make other changes to the way the image’s crop, brightness, saturation, and more.
5. Hit “Next” to add text and location, tag people, and pair other platforms – like Facebook or Twitter – to syndicate your post there, too.
6. Hit “Share” to make your post live on Instagram.
How to post on Instagram from your computer
Instagram is designed only to allow image uploads from a smartphone or tablet, but you can trick Instagram into thinking you are using a mobile device, after which you can make posts right from your computer.
On a Mac computer using Safari
1. Open the Safari browser, then click the word “Safari” from the taskbar at the top of the screen.
2. Select “Preferences” from the dropdown menu, then hit the “Advanced” tab on the popup window.
3. At the bottom of the Advanced window, click the box beside the words “Show Develop menu in menu bar.”
4. Open a new Safari window, and then hit word “Develop” from the taskbar at the screen’s top.
5. On the dropdown menu, hover over “User Agent,” then select “Safari – iOS – iPhone.” It’ll also include the current Safari version number.
You are now viewing Safari as if you’re on a mobile device, and you can upload images or other media right from your computer.
Go to the Instagram website, and you’ll see the “+” button at the bottom of the page, which you can click to post.
However, note that uploading from a computer does have some constraints — you can’t post videos or multiple pictures, and have limited editing tools.
On a Mac or PC using Google Chrome
1. Go to the Instagram website and log into your account.
2. Right-click anywhere on the page, and then click “Inspect” in the right-click menu.
3. On the right side of the screen, a window filled with code will appear. At the top of this menu, click “Toggle Device Toolbar” icon — it looks a phone in front of a tablet. And make sure the toolbar at the top of the page says “Responsive.”
4. Refresh the page.
5. Close the Inspection window.
Like above, you’re now viewing Instagram as if you’re on a mobile device. Once you close the Inspection menu, you’ll see a “+” button at the bottom of the page, which you can click to post pictures. However, you can’t post videos or multiple pictures, and have limited editing tools.